Selected Short Stories and Essays
Anywhere there's an active link, you can grab a full-text PDF of the following short stories or essays. I'll be adding more links on an ongoing basis. Thank you for reading!
- [“The Standing Man,” The Iowa Review, forthcoming in fall, 2018.]
- [“The Piano,” Alaska Quarterly Review, forthcoming in 2018.]
- “Lotus,” Boulevard, Spring issue, 2017.
- “When in Bangkok,” The Kenyon Review, November/December issue, 2016. Also featured in “Why We Chose It” and finalist for the 2018 Pushcart Prize.
- “The Pole of Cold,” One Story, March 25, 2015. Click here for an interview about the story. Reprinted here in Nowhere Magazine, March 2016. Finalist for Best American Short Stories 2016.
- “Wounds of the Heart and Great Vessels,” Crazyhorse, Spring 2015, finalist for the 2017 Pushcart Prize.
- “All of Me,” Glimmer Train Stories, Summer 2005. Reprinted in Where Love Is Found: 24 Tales of Connection, editors Susan Burmeister-Brown and Linda Swanson-Davies. New York: Washington Square Press, January 2006.
- “The Blue Hole,” Glamour, June 2004.
- “The Husbands,” The New Yorker, Summer Fiction Issue, June 18th and 25th, 2001. Reprinted here by The New York Times.
- “Other People’s Mothers,” Ploughshares, Winter 1999-2000, editor: Madison Smartt Bell.
- “What I Wore,” Story, Spring 1999.
- “My Weddings,” The Atlantic, October 1998. My first short story!
- “Comfort Woman,” Granta.com, September, 2017.
- “Mt. Fuji,” When I Was a Loser: True Stories of (Barely) Surviving High School, editor John McNally. New York: Free Press, March 2007.