- "Wounds of the Heart and Great Vessels" received Special Mention in The Pushcart Prize XLI: Best of the Small Presses 2017 Edition.
- "When in Bangkok" was featured in the Kenyon Review column, "Why We Chose It"
- "The Standing Man" was shortlisted for the 2016 Bridport Prize.
- "The Pole of Cold" was listed as a "Distinguished Story of 2015" by Best American Short Stories 2016, and shortlisted for the Nowhere Travel Writing Award and the Sequestrum Reprint Award.
- Contenders was named as a finalist for the VCU Cabell First Novelist Award.
- "Lotus" was shortlisted for the 2015 Bridport Prize and the Dana Award for the Short Story.
- High Country News: "Knock-out punch: a review of 'Contenders' by Erika Krouse," Jenny Shank, November 9, 2015.
- Lithub.com: "Literary Los Angeles: Against not-entirely inaccurate stereotypes," Katie Orphan, August 4, 2015.
- SF Gate: "In ‘Contenders,’ taking custody of niece hits female fighter hard," Tony DuShane, July 29, 2015.
- Contenders returns to the Denver Bestseller List for Paperback Fiction, 6/28/15
- Contenders is featured at B&N Reads, "Five Overlooked Books It's Impossible Not to Love," by Jenny Shank.
- Contenders is featured at VELA, "BK Loren's Five Badass Fiction and Nonfiction Writers."
- Contenders is Margot Livesey's Editor's Pick in the upcoming (Summer) issue of Ploughshares.
- Contenders is featured in the May issue of 5280.
- Contenders is #1 on the Denver Bestseller List for Paperback Fiction, 4/19/15
- Contenders is the April pick for The Nervous Breakdown Book Club.
- Contenders is featured in the March issue of Cosmopolitan.
- Colorado Public Radio, Colorado Matters, "Writing the rails: Boulder writer selected for Amtrak's first literary residency," David Hill, October 6, 2014.
- The Denver Post, "Boulder Writer Gets Ready to Ride the Rails," Monte Whaley, October 4, 2014.
- The New York Times, "The Little Writing Prize That Could," Alexandra Alter, September 25, 2014.
- Colorado Public Radio, "How to Beat Writer's Block," Corey H. Jones, June 11, 2014.
- Colorado Public Radio, "Colorado Teens Encouraged to Use Failure as Fuel," Corey H. Jones, March 14, 2014.
- Interview, Colorado Public Radio, Colorado Matters, "How To Write 'Outsiders': Social Alienation And Mental Illness In Fiction" with Sarah Schantz, September 21, 2016.
- Interview, "Erika Krouse interview with Karen Stefano" (with excerpt from Contenders), Karen Stefano, March 2016.
- Podcast, "The Bleeding Typewriter: Episode 7," David W. Berner.
- Interview, "Interrogation: Erika Krouse," S.W. Lauden, December 2015.
- Podcast, "Other Ppl with Erika Krouse," Brad Listi, The Nervous Breakdown, April 23, 2015.
- Interview and webinar, "Writing Power Hour with Erika Krouse," Doug Kurtz, Write Life Coaching, April 27, 2015, 7 pm MST.
- Interview, Colorado Public Radio, Colorado Matters, "Boulder writer Erika Krouse pulls no punches with first novel, ‘Contenders’," Ryan Warner and David Hill, April 27, 2015, 7 am and 10 pm.
- "Literary great [Ishiguro] touches down in Denver," The Advocate, Jordan Anthony
- Interview with Kazuo Ishiguro in "Inside the Writer's Studio," March 27, 2015, King Center, Denver.
- Interview, One Story, Q&A, March 25, 2015
- Bookslut.com: "An Interview with Erika Krouse," March, 2015.
- 9News, Colorado & Company, March 4, 2015, television interview about Kazuo Ishiguro visit and Contenders.
- 9News, Colorado & Company, June 15, 2014, television interview about Lit Fest.
Recent and Forthcoming Publications
- "Lotus," short fiction forthcoming in the Spring issue of Boulevard.
- "When in Bangkok," short fiction in the November/December 2016 issue of The Kenyon Review. Featured in "Why We Chose It" by editor Caitlin Horrocks.
- Short essay on Amtrak blog: "Amtrak Resident: Erika Krouse," by Erika Krouse, January, 2016.
- "The Pole of Cold," short fiction in the March 25, 2015 issue (#204) of One Story. Read a Q&A about the story here. Story reprinted in Nowhere Magazine—available here.
- "Wounds of the Heart and Great Vessels," short fiction in the Spring 2015 issue of Crazyhorse.
- Contenders (novel, Rare Bird Books) available in bookstores now.
- Contenders will appear in German! It will be published by Aufbau-Verlag in 2016.
Selected Previous Publications
Come Up and See Me Sometime. New York: Scribner, June 2001. Collection of short stories. Also published by Fourth Estate (United Kingdom), BTB (Germany), Grijalbo (Spain), Quai Voltaire (France), Hayakawa Publishing (Japan), Tuttle/Mori (Taiwan), and Vassallucci (the Netherlands). Paperback published by Washington Square Press in May 2002.
Contributed “Mt. Fuji” (essay) to When I Was a Loser: True Stories of (Barely) Surviving High School, editor John McNally. New York: Free Press, March, 2007. 125-136.
- Contributed “All of Me” (short story) to Where Love Is Found: 24 Tales of Connection, editors Susan Burmeister-Brown and Linda Swanson-Davies. New York: Washington Square Press, January 2006. 374-392.
- Contributed "Zero” (short story) to The Dictionary of Failed Relationships: 26 Tales of Love Gone Wrong, editor Meredith Broussard. New York: Three Rivers Press, May, 2003.
- Contributed “The Chrysanthemum and the Light Saber” to A Galaxy Not Too Far Away, editor Glenn Kenny. New York: Henry Holt and Company, September 2002.
- “All of Me,” Glimmer Train Stories, Summer 2005,
- “The Good Times Are Killing Me,” Ploughshares, Spring 2002, Editor: Cornelius Eady.
- “The Husbands,” The New Yorker, Summer Fiction Issue, June 18th and 25th, 2001.
- “Mercy,” Shenandoah, Summer 2000.
- “Other People’s Mothers,” Ploughshares, Winter 1999-2000, Editor: Madison Smartt Bell.
- “What I Wore,” Story, Spring 1999.
- “My Weddings,” The Atlantic, October 1998. My first short story!
For upcoming events and appearances, please click here.